Reflections on faith, grace & everyday life

Beauty for Ashes

“…to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning.” – Isaiah 61:3

est. 2014

Where Did You Lose Your Axe Head?

"But as one was felling a beam, the axe head fell into the water: and he cried, and said, Alas, master! for it was borrowed. And the man of God said, Where fell it?"
 — 2 Kings 6:5–6




There is something painfully human about this story.

No rebellion. No immorality. No deliberate turning away from God.

Just a young man... serving.

He was doing exactly what he was supposed to be doing. They were expanding the school of the prophets, building something that honored God. His hands were busy with good work.

Then suddenly...

Splash.

The axe head disappeared beneath the water.




I don't think anyone wakes up one morning and decides to lose their passion for God.

It happens much quieter than that.

A prayer skipped here. A hurried Bible reading there. A worship service attended physically but not spiritually. A heart that slowly becomes occupied with responsibilities instead of relationship.

An axe head never falls off all at once. It loosens little by little.

Until one day you realize... "I'm still swinging... but nothing is being cut."


The Borrowed Axe Head

The young man cried, "Alas, master, for it was borrowed."

What honesty.

He wasn't mourning because he lost his possession. He was grieving because he had lost something entrusted to him.

The cutting edge was never his to own. Neither is ours.

Every gift. Every opportunity. Every sermon. Every successful ministry. Every transformed life. Every restored marriage. Every business that honors God.

None of it originates from us.

The Holy Spirit is never something we possess. He is Someone we depend upon.

The danger begins the moment we mistake God's power for our own ability.

Success can become dangerous when it convinces us that our methods are enough.

That's exactly what happened to Samson. He assumed he could fight another battle like every battle before.

But Scripture says he "wist not that the LORD was departed from him."

He still had his muscles. He just didn't have God's presence.

Sometimes we still have the platform. We still have the title. We still have the microphone. We still have the routines.

But somewhere along the way... the axe head is gone.


The Wooden Handle

The most sobering part of this story isn't that the axe head fell. It's that the young man could have kept swinging. After all, he still had the handle.

Wood, throughout Scripture, often points us to humanity—to the flesh.

Imagine trying to cut down a tree using only a stick. Ridiculous.

Yet spiritually... how often do we try? We rely on personality instead of prayer. Experience instead of dependence. Strategies instead of surrender. Talent instead of the Holy Spirit.

Outwardly, we look busy. Inwardly, we know something is missing. There is activity but very little fruit.

Noise without power.  Motion without transformation.


"Alas, Master"

Thankfully, the young man didn't pretend everything was fine.

He stopped working.

He admitted what happened.

"Alas, master."

That simple confession became the beginning of restoration.

God never asks us to impress Him. He simply asks us to be honest. There is freedom in finally saying, "Lord... I'm tired of pretending. I don't pray like I used to. I don't hunger for Your Word like I once did. I don't worship with the same affection. I'm serving... but I'm not as close to You as I once was."

Healing begins where honesty begins.


One Question

Elisha asked only one question.

"Where fell it?"

Not...

"How talented are you?"

Not...

"How long have you been serving?"

Not...

"What have you accomplished?"

Just...

"Where?"

Because restoration begins with remembering.

Jesus asked the church in Ephesus to do the same.

"Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works."

Think back.

Was there a season when prayer wasn't a duty but a delight?

When worship moved you to tears?

When opening your Bible wasn't another task to check off?

When talking about Jesus happened naturally because your heart overflowed?

What changed?

Where did you lose the cutting edge?

Maybe it was success.

Maybe disappointment.

Maybe busyness.

Maybe hurt.

Maybe simply neglect.

Whatever the place... that's also where restoration begins.


Go Back

Jesus did not tell the church to invent something new.

He simply said, "Do the first works."

Go back. Wake up early again. Open your Bible again. Pray again. Worship again. Serve again. Share your faith again. Not because those actions earn God's love. But because those were the places where your heart once met Him.

Sometimes we keep asking God for something fresh when He's inviting us back to something familiar.



One of the most beautiful parts of this story comes after Elisha asked where the axe head had fallen.

He didn't say, "Well, that's unfortunate."

He didn't tell the young prophet to buy another one.

God performed a miracle. The impossible floated. What had sunk beneath the surface was brought back again.

That is the heart of God.

Maybe your passion has sunk. Maybe your first love feels buried beneath years of responsibilities. Maybe you're still serving, still building, still smiling... but you've secretly been swinging nothing more than a wooden handle.

Take heart. The God who caused iron to float is still restoring hearts today.

He still brings back what we thought was gone forever. He still restores joy. He still restores intimacy. He still restores the cutting edge. The question isn't whether He can. The question is the same one Elisha asked long ago.

Where did you lose it?

Because when you're willing to return to that place, God is already waiting there.


Points to Ponder

  • Am I serving God from intimacy with Him, or merely from habit?

  • Have I mistaken activity for spiritual effectiveness?

  • When was the last time I genuinely delighted in God's presence?

  • Where did I begin to drift — not dramatically, but gradually?

  • What "first works" is God inviting me to do again?

  • Am I relying more on my own abilities than on the Holy Spirit?

  • If the axe head has been lost, am I willing to admit it instead of pretending everything is fine?




Prayer

Lord, forgive me for the times I have continued swinging the handle after losing the cutting edge. Thank You that Your grace restores what my carelessness has lost. Bring me back to the place where my love for You was simple, joyful, and wholehearted. Teach me to depend not on my own strength, but on Your Spirit. Restore my first love, renew my passion, and let my life once again bear fruit that only You can produce. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment